…and Onto the Other Side

My surgery is over! There were many pre-op things done at the last minute: A quick overview of my medical history, the insertion of an IV so I didn’t dehydrate, a meeting with the anesthesiologist, and other things. Then I was led into the operating room by a nurse, settled on the table, and woke up over an hour later in the recovery room. My surgery went well, so says the surgeon. Also, I use the term “woke up” loosely. I was still pretty drowsy from the drugs. In fact I think it took me a good hour or two before I was finally able to keep my eyes open. That hour or two sucked. Balls. I was stuck in a state wherein which I was drowsy and wanted to sleep, but couldn’t because of the IV machine and these leg massager things they had on me to try and dissuade the formation of blood clots. It felt like forever. But finally, after a walk or two up and down the hallway, I became able to keep my eyes open.

The rest of the say was spent watching a random NCIS marathon (good timing or what?) and tooling around on the internet. The nurses instructed me to make sure I was walking at least once an hour—again, so as to not find myself with blood clots in my legs—and use a breathing meter thing, the name of which I don’t remember, to make sure I was taking some deep breaths to stave off pneumonia. Because apparently that’s a problem.

Oh, and by the way? The nurses at this place are some of the most caring and conscientious medical professionals I have ever met. No matter what time of day or night it was or what I asked for assistance with, they were happy to help and friendly. They really made things suck a lot less because they were incredibly awesome at their jobs. I’m so lucky to have had them taking care of me.

Husband and I came home early this AM, and I pretty much went straight to bed. I haven’t slept very well in the last forever, so this is actually kind of nice. I still don’t feel rested, naturally, but I do feel as if I’ve gotten quality sleep. I intend to go get more quality sleep as soon as Husband gets home from running an errand.

See, we tried to make sure we already had everything we might need for my return home. There were some things, though, that we didn’t realize we’d need until after the surgery was over. One thing I’m looking forward to having is a nightgown. While I do own PJs, they’re all pants (which is sort of weird if you know me) and I can’t exactly do things like bend over to pull them up after using the bathroom. It also became clear that the table on which I normally set my laptop wasn’t going to be very comfortable, so Husband bought some TV trays. They’re adjustable, even, so if I need mine up higher, that can be done.

So other bariatric surgery patients, take note. For the last day and a half, I haven’t been able to so much as lift my laptop because my carry limit is only five pounds. (Or is it ten? Either way, it makes my abdominal muscles hurt to lift very much.) This means I haven’t really been able to do very much for myself. I hope any of you reading have a friend and/or a loved one to help you out post-op, ’cause you’re gonna need ’em.

And Husband has been doing an amazing job of taking care of me. He’s made sure I had all sorts of food for my post-op diet, he helped me out a lot at the hospital yesterday, and he even opted to spend the night there with me with no prompting on my part. I’m very lucky to have him, too.

And I think that’s about it for right now. I expect I’ll be writing more in the upcoming days as I become more able to consume things that aren’t teeny tiny sips of water, but for now, I’m beat.

Thank you to everyone who was thinking of me and wishing me the best. Your love and support mean more than you know.


2 thoughts on “…and Onto the Other Side

  1. coemaria says:

    I agree that you have an awesome husband!!! I was lucky that when I had most of my surgeries, David stayed with me. (The only time he couldn’t stay with me was when he was serving in Iraq when I broke my wrist.)

    I am glad you are feeling better. Just take it slow. I promise it will get better.

  2. Astrid says:

    Yeah, I think overseas deployment makes his absence more than allowable 😛

    Thank you! I have so far spent most of the day blissfully asleep. I think thus far I’m good at taking it slow ;D

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s